Riyadh mulling closure of Syria embassy: Report
Riyadh: Saudi Arabia may be forced to shut
its embassy in Damascus due to the ruling regime`s unrelenting
and violent repression of protesters, Al-Watan daily reported
"After reducing its diplomatic staff to a bare minimum,
the kingdom is leaning towards closing its embassy in Syria
because of the continued violence practiced by the regime
against its citizens," the report said, citing an "informed
Riyadh is "anxious to protect its citizens and diplomatic
mission of any risk because Syria has become a danger zone
where dozens are killed every day," the report continued.
Saudi Arabia, which has great clout in the Arab world,
broke with its tradition of diplomatic discretion to
publically condemn the violence practiced by its former ally
Saudi Arabia on August 8 recalled its ambassador to
Damascus and last month urged its citizens to leave the
country where ruling regime`s repression has claimed more
than 5,000 civilian lives, according to UN estimates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani