Riyadh mulling closure of Syria embassy: Report
Riyadh: Saudi Arabia may be forced to shut
its embassy in Damascus due to the ruling regime`s unrelenting
and violent repression of protesters, Al-Watan daily reported
"After reducing its diplomatic staff to a bare minimum,
the kingdom is leaning towards closing its embassy in Syria
because of the continued violence practiced by the regime
against its citizens," the report said, citing an "informed
Riyadh is "anxious to protect its citizens and diplomatic
mission of any risk because Syria has become a danger zone
where dozens are killed every day," the report continued.
Saudi Arabia, which has great clout in the Arab world,
broke with its tradition of diplomatic discretion to
publically condemn the violence practiced by its former ally
Saudi Arabia on August 8 recalled its ambassador to
Damascus and last month urged its citizens to leave the
country where ruling regime`s repression has claimed more
than 5,000 civilian lives, according to UN estimates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery