Riyadh mulling closure of Syria embassy: Report
Riyadh: Saudi Arabia may be forced to shut
its embassy in Damascus due to the ruling regime`s unrelenting
and violent repression of protesters, Al-Watan daily reported
"After reducing its diplomatic staff to a bare minimum,
the kingdom is leaning towards closing its embassy in Syria
because of the continued violence practiced by the regime
against its citizens," the report said, citing an "informed
Riyadh is "anxious to protect its citizens and diplomatic
mission of any risk because Syria has become a danger zone
where dozens are killed every day," the report continued.
Saudi Arabia, which has great clout in the Arab world,
broke with its tradition of diplomatic discretion to
publically condemn the violence practiced by its former ally
Saudi Arabia on August 8 recalled its ambassador to
Damascus and last month urged its citizens to leave the
country where ruling regime`s repression has claimed more
than 5,000 civilian lives, according to UN estimates.
- Rupee falls 11 paise to 66.44 Vs US dollar
- Parliamentary panel asks coal PSUs, govt to recover dues
- OMG! Zarina Wahab leaves house post Aditya Pancholi's name crops up in Kangana-Hrithik saga?
- SAMCO launches Season 2 of the Indian Trading League
- How Twitter can help prevent asthma-related hospitalisation!