Roadside bomb kills 2 children: Afghan official
Kandahar: A roadside bomb killed two children in southern Afghanistan on Monday while six bodies found the day before in the restive region where identified as policemen and not labourers, as was initially reported.
Deputy governor of southern Zabul province, Mohammed Jan Rasoolyar, said the confusion arose because the bodies found in neighbouring Kandahar province were in civilian clothes. The policemen had disappeared several days earlier from Zabul.
Rasoolyar said that with limited means for forensic identification, it took the police nearly a full day to resolve the confusion.
The six policemen were abducted by the Taliban from Zabul and taken to Kandahar where their bodies were found yesterday.
The Taliban have repeatedly warned Afghans against joining the government or the military and police forces. Hundreds of Afghan policemen have been killed this year in ambushes, targeted killings and bombings.
In today`s explosion, the two children died when their family`s vehicle hit a roadside bomb, Rasoolyar told a news agency.
The family was travelling to the Zabul provincial capital of Qalat for shopping.
The father was wounded along with a third child, Rasoolyar said.
Improvised explosive devises are among the deadliest weapons in the insurgents` arsenal but they often kill civilians.
Also today, police in Kandahar -- the birthplace of the Taliban -- stopped a tractor hauling improvised explosive devises, said Javid Faisal, the provincial governor`s spokesman.
A firefight erupted as the police tried to stop the vehicle near the border with Pakistan, he said. The shooting ignited the devises, killing the driver and a second person on the tractor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you