Roadside bomb kills 4 Yemeni soldiers
Aden: At least four Yemeni soldiers were killed on Tuesday by a roadside bombing on the eastern outskirts of the southern port city Aden, a security official said.
The roadside bomb exploded early Tuesday, hitting a military patrol near the al-Alam checkpoint on the eastern outskirts of Aden, killing at least four soldiers, the local security official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The military patrol was near the security checkpoint of al-Alam that monitors the major highway connecting Aden to the city of Zinjibar, the capital of Abyan province, the security official said.
Just a few hours after the bombing, army forces blocked the main road linking Zinjibar to Aden, he added.
On Monday evening, at least seven members of the Yemen-based al- Qaida branch were killed when a U.S. drone strike bombed their pick- up truck in the southeastern province of Hadramout, a security official told Xinhua.
Hundreds of militants from the Yemen-based al-Qaida branch, locally known as Ansar al-Sharia (Partisans of Islamic Law), are attempting to expand their foothold and take control over the county``s southern regions where central authority has almost no presence.
The Yemeni armed forces, backed by U.S.military advisers, have recently increased assaults against al-Qaida bastions in southern regions, as part of an offensive to uproot the terrorists from areas they overran during the one-year political turmoil in Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert