Robert Kennedy`s assassin plotted to kill Edward: FBI files
New York: The assassin of former US president John F Kennedy`s brother Robert may have plotted to kill their youngest brother Edward also, de-classified FBI files have revealed.
According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation documents, the assassin Sirhan Sirhan had allegedly offered a fellow prison inmate "a million dollars and a car" to kill Massecheussets senator Edward Kennedy in 1977.
The Mexican-American inmate, whose name is redacted, told FBI agents he didn`t know Edward Kennedy was a Senator, but recognised he was the brother of slain JFK and New York Senator Bobby Kennedy, the `New York Daily News` reported.
The inmate, who was in the cell next to Sirhan`s for 18 months and befriended the assassin, said Sirhan told him to contact his mother for more details if he decided to proceed.
"He advised he declined the contract," the FBI report said. Sirhan, now 66, is serving a life sentence at Pleasant Valley State Prison in California, for shooting Bobby Kennedy on June 05, 1968, the night he won the primary election to seal his nomination as the Democrat presidential candidate.
The mentally unbalanced Palestinian Christian claimed that his motive was because RFK had promised military support for Israel if he was elected to the White House.
Although the FBI alerted Senator Kennedy`s office and the police, agents never established the seriousness of the threat and the reliability of the inmate informant.
The Massachusetts Senator died in August last year after battling brain cancer. He was the last surviving brother of the storied American political family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27