Robert Mugabe`s party wins thumping parliamentary majority
Harare: President Robert Mugabe`s party has won an overwhelming parliamentary majority in Zimbabwe`s disputed elections, according to a tally of official results on Friday.
With over 180 seats declared by the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission out of a total of 210 up for grabs, Mugabe`s ZANU-PF had an unassailable lead.
A count of result papers from the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission carried out by a news agency`s journalists today gave ZANU-PF 137 votes out of 186 already declared.
Election officials have refused to give a running tally but have been reading the results out since last night.
Anything over 140 would give ZANU-PF a two-thirds majority, enough to amend the country`s Constitution.
The party is expected to clear that bar today when more results are given.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube