Robert Mugabe`s party wins thumping parliamentary majority
Harare: President Robert Mugabe`s party has won an overwhelming parliamentary majority in Zimbabwe`s disputed elections, according to a tally of official results on Friday.
With over 180 seats declared by the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission out of a total of 210 up for grabs, Mugabe`s ZANU-PF had an unassailable lead.
A count of result papers from the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission carried out by a news agency`s journalists today gave ZANU-PF 137 votes out of 186 already declared.
Election officials have refused to give a running tally but have been reading the results out since last night.
Anything over 140 would give ZANU-PF a two-thirds majority, enough to amend the country`s Constitution.
The party is expected to clear that bar today when more results are given.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery