Rocket attack on Turkish base kills 6 soldiers
Ankara: Six soldiers were killed overnight when armed militants fired rockets on a Navy base in the southern Turkish city of Iskenderun, Anatolia news agency reported.
Seven soldiers were also wounded in the attack that targeted a military vehicle carrying troops for the changing of the guard, the report said.
Three of them were in a critical condition and were taken to a military hospital in the capital Ankara.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack that took place around 4:00 am (0100 GMT). Anatolia and other media reports described the assailants as "terrorists".
Authorities deployed additional police and troops in the area after the attack and a security operation was underway, media reports said.
Turkey is home to several home-grown outlawed groups, including the Kurdistan Workers` Party (PKK) which is behind a 25-year armed campaign for self-rule in Turkey`s mainly Kurdish southeast.
The rebels, who have stepped up their attacks against security forces in recent weeks, has in the past been active in the country`s south.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday