Rockets hit Israeli resort town of Eilat
Jerusalem: At least two rockets exploded in Israel`s Red Sea resort town of Eilat early on Wednesday causing no casualties but prompting the authorities to close the airport, police said.
"We`ve found two explosion sites in the city, we`ve also closed off the airport as a precaution," police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told AFP, saying one landed in "an open area close to one of the neighbourhoods."
He said the sirens had sounded but that there were no initial reports of casualties. "Bomb disposal experts are searching the area," he said.
Rosenfeld said a number of explosions were heard but he could not say from where rockets were fired.
Israeli media said the army had recently deployed a battery of the vaunted Iron Dome anti-missile system in the vicinity of Eilat.
The Red Sea port city lies on the northernmost point of the Gulf of Aqaba, a narrow stretch of water bordered on one side by the Sinai and the other by Saudi Arabia and Jordan.
Last April, a rocket fired from Sinai hit Eilat but caused no casualties, with police finding another unexploded rocket near the city several days later.
In August, another two blasts rocked the city, again injuring no-one with police unable to find any evidence or shrapnel.
That attack was claimed by an Islamist group calling itself Ansar Jerusalem which said it had fired two Grad rockets at the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore