Romania holds referendum on impeaching President
Bucharest: Romanians on Sunday are set to vote in a referendum on impeaching the President Traian Basescu, who has already been suspended by the Parliament.
Weeks of political standoff between the centre-right President and a centre-left government led by Prime Minister Victor Ponta, seem to threaten the democracy that returned to the nation in 1990.
The government accuses Basescu of violating the constitution by intervening in the affairs of the government whereas Basescu says that this is a political vendetta engineered by his opponents to siphon off EU funds.
For President Basescu, who survived a referendum earlier in 2007, this is the second impeachment attempt in last five years.
But things have changed now, with once popular Basescu losing his popularity amongst voters after the tough austerity cuts in 2010 that he imposed to meet the terms of a 20 billion euro IMF-led loan.
According to the law in Romania, for President to be impeached, the turnout must be at least half or the total numbers of voters, that is, over 18 millions.
If less than 50% voters turn up, President will survive the impeachment and get reinstated to continue till 2014.
But if voters gather in large numbers, that is, more than 50% are in favour of impeachment, President Basescu will be removed and a fresh Presidential poll would be conducted within three months.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India