Romania hotel closed after 40 people get swine flu
Bucharest: A hotel in the mountain resort of Sinaia has been closed after 40 Romanian and foreign law students meeting for a conference caught swine flu, officials said.
Health State Secretary Adrian Streinu-Cercel said 40 people were hospitalised yesterday at the Matei Bals Institute for Infectious Diseases in Bucharest, suffering from medium to severe forms of the flu.
Streinu-Cercel says the flu was spread by a Portuguese tourist at the hotel who refused to be hospitalised for two days after it was confirmed that she was carrying the illness.
He gave no further details.
The Hotel Sinaia manager, Marian Schwartz, says participants at the conference, which was attended by 260 students, came from 31 European countries.
He said the students had spent a week in Sinaia, some 100 kilometres north of Bucharest.
Sinaia town hall officials said tourist attractions and other places the students visited would be disinfected.
Streinu-Cercel says authorities are trying to identify people the students came in contact with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you