Romania, US begin negotiations on missile shield
Bucharest (Romania): A Romanian official
says negotiations have begun with the US on placing
anti-ballistic interceptors in Romania as part of a revamped
US missile shield.
US Undersecretary of State Ellen Tauscher is in Romania
leading a team that is negotiating technical details and legal
issues with Romanian officials to reach an agreement on the
Bogdan Aurescu, state secretary for strategic affairs,
said late yesterday there is no deadline to finalise, but the
two teams want to progress rapidly.
In February, the country`s top defence body approved a US
proposal to place anti-ballistic interceptors in Romania by
President Traian Basescu said the measure was not
directed against Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj