Romanian President reappoints Victor Ponta as PM
Bucharest: Romania`s President has reappointed the prime minister to his post despite a bitter feud between the two top officials.
Traian Basescu Monday said he had designated Victor Ponta as prime minister after Ponta`s centre-left governing alliance won some 68 percent of seats in December 9 parliamentary elections.
Basescu had said he was reluctant to reappoint Ponta, calling him "a pig," and "a compulsive liar" before the elections. Animosity between the two escalated after Ponta tried to impeach Basescu in July. The motion failed after not enough people turned out to vote.
Ponta is Romania`s third prime minister this year. The country has been rocked by political turmoil and huge protests against government policies and tough austerity measures put in place to deal with the country`s debt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok