Romanian President reappoints Victor Ponta as PM
Bucharest: Romania`s President has reappointed the prime minister to his post despite a bitter feud between the two top officials.
Traian Basescu Monday said he had designated Victor Ponta as prime minister after Ponta`s centre-left governing alliance won some 68 percent of seats in December 9 parliamentary elections.
Basescu had said he was reluctant to reappoint Ponta, calling him "a pig," and "a compulsive liar" before the elections. Animosity between the two escalated after Ponta tried to impeach Basescu in July. The motion failed after not enough people turned out to vote.
Ponta is Romania`s third prime minister this year. The country has been rocked by political turmoil and huge protests against government policies and tough austerity measures put in place to deal with the country`s debt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Libyan forces clash with militants in Sirte, 14 dead: Official
- Rahul Gandhi reacts to NSG setback: 'How to lose a negotiation by PM Narendra Modi'
- Pope denounces Armenian `genocide` in Yerevan visit
- University of Mumbai T.Y.B.Com Semester Six (75:25) Result 2016 declared on mu.ac.in
- Poland National Championships 2016: Quarter-miler Mohd. Anas sets new national record