Romanian President reappoints Victor Ponta as PM
Bucharest: Romania`s President has reappointed the prime minister to his post despite a bitter feud between the two top officials.
Traian Basescu Monday said he had designated Victor Ponta as prime minister after Ponta`s centre-left governing alliance won some 68 percent of seats in December 9 parliamentary elections.
Basescu had said he was reluctant to reappoint Ponta, calling him "a pig," and "a compulsive liar" before the elections. Animosity between the two escalated after Ponta tried to impeach Basescu in July. The motion failed after not enough people turned out to vote.
Ponta is Romania`s third prime minister this year. The country has been rocked by political turmoil and huge protests against government policies and tough austerity measures put in place to deal with the country`s debt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Kabir Khan's message to the media after being 'heckled in Pakistan' is epic!
- Subrata Roy's health deteriorating in jail, can't survive another summer: Sahara tells SC
- BJP doing 'gundagardi' in name of making people say 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', says Arvind Kejriwal
- Sheena Bora murder: Indrani, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till May 9
- Sushmita Sen - mother of two daughters - talks about her sexiest mantra