Romanian president`s brother held for alleged corruption
Bucharest: Brother of Romania`s incumbent President Traian Basescu was arrested Thursday for allegedly committing offence of trading in influencing a court case.
Mircea Basescu was arrested Thursday for 24 hours, the National Anti-Corruption Directorate (DNA) was quoted as saying in a release. He was arrested by the DNA prosecutors and will be referred to the Bucharest Court with the proposal to hand him a 30-day preventive arrest term.
According to the same source, from Feb 20, 2011 - February 22, 2012, Mircea received 250,000 euros ($340,000) from a whistle-blower Florin Anghel, through an intermediary, in exchange for a promise that he would intervene with the judges hearing the case relating to the offence of Anghel`s father Sandu Anghel to obtain a favorable solution.
Later, as Sandu Anghel was not released, his son remitted another 350,000 euros to the intermediary for the same purpose.
Of the total of 600,000 euros issued by Florin Anghel, Mircea Basescu received the amount of 250,000 euros, while the intermediary appropriated 350,000 euros.
The bribes did not seem to work. And, Sandu Anghel was sentenced to eight years and nine months in prison for attempted murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok