Rome diocese asks gay priests to come out
Rome: The Catholic diocese of Rome has asked homosexual priests to "come out" because their behaviour "slings mud on others".
The Vicar of Rome - the office that governs the Rome diocese in the name of the Pope – on Friday urged homosexual priests to renounce priesthood.
It was responding to an article in Italian weekly Panorama, which claimed to have documented the lives of homosexual priests in Rome.
The article said many priests were "leading double lives".
"We don`t wish them harm but we can`t accept that their behaviour slings mud on the honour of others," the diocese statement said.
"No one is forcing them to stay in the priesthood to exploit the benefits. If they are coherent, they should come out into the open."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez