Rome Mayor race tests Berlusconi effect on voters
Rome: Italian voters were choosing Mayors in Rome and other Municipalities on Sunday in balloting, whose results will be interpreted as a test of ex-Premier Silvio Berlusconi`s political influence with possible repercussions on the national government.
Media Mogul Berlusconi campaigned for his center-right party`s candidate in Rome, incumbent Gianni Alemanno, who is trying for a second term in a runoff against former transplant surgeon Ignazio Marino, who is backed by the center-left.
Alemanno trailed in the first round two weeks ago in Italy`s Capital. In his first run for the office, in 2008, Alemanno also trailed in the first round, but mounted a strong comeback to win in the runoff.
Marino`s and Alemanno`s parties are the main partners in a coalition of bitter rivals in Premier Enrico Letta`s 5-week-old government, and are struggling to spur economic growth in the recession-mired country.
Rome is the only major metropolis at stake. Nearly all races are runoffs, except in the region of Sicily, which is holding its first round of mayoral elections. Voting ends on Monday afternoon.
Beset by judicial woes, including a trial expected to yield a verdict later this month on charges that Berlusconi paid for sex with an underage teen and then tried to use his office while premier to cover it up, the 76-year-old billionaire businessman, who denies wrongdoing, tried for an electoral comeback in February Parliamentary elections.
His conservative People of Freedom party finished second in the national vote, not enough to return him to the Premiership, more than a year after he resigned that office when financial markets lost confidence that his government could weather the eurozone debt crisis.
The largest vote-getter, the left-leaning Democratic Party, failed to win enough to control both houses of Parliament. After weeks of internal bickering, it was forced to ask Berlusconi`s forces to help it form a coalition government.
The mayoral races will also be watched to see if the Democrats can project a winning image. Local electoral triumphs could help it to wield a stronger hand in the ruling coalition, which quickly gave in to Berlusconi`s demands to stop an unpopular property tax. Payment of tax on primary residences has been suspended, while the government scrambles to find alternative revenues for lean state coffers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi