Rome priest on trial for abuse defends Pope
Rome: A politically connected priest on trial
for allegedly sexually molesting young boys proclaimed his
innocence and denounced what he said was "mud" being thrown on
the Pope concerning the clerical abuse scandal.
The Rev Ruggero Conti made a spontaneous declaration
during a court hearing in Rome. He is accused of sexual
violence and prostitution concerning seven young boys who
frequented his parish in a working class neighbourhood of
In police interrogations, the boys -- some as young as 13
at the time of the alleged abuse -- said Conti would masturbate
them and force them to perform oral sex on him in his home
where he frequently invited them to eat dinner and watch
The case is being closely watched because Conti served as
an adviser to Rome Mayor Gianni Alemanno and worked in the
In his declaration yesterday, Conti proclaimed his
innocence and linked his case to the criticism the Pope has
been weathering in recent weeks as the clerical abuse scandal
swirls around the Vatican.
"Here I am, Mr President, and I am not a monster, I am
innocent, I say it with clean conscience, humbly," Conti said.
"I am a priest, the infamies of which I am accused
accumulate other hatred, not only on myself, but it (the
hatred) bounces off immediately like a stone on the water to
hit the Church and hurt the Holy Father," Conti said,
denouncing the "mud" that has been thrown at the pontiff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload