Romney all set to clinch presidential nomination
Washington: After weathering an onslaught of rotating primary challengers, Mitt Romney is all set to create history on Tuesday by becoming the first Mormon Christian to clinch Republican Party`s presidential nomination.
Former Massachusetts Governor Romney, 65, is all set to win the Texas Republican primary race being held on Tuesday, following which he would have the requisite 1,144 delegates required to clinch the Republican presidential nomination at the party`s national convention in Tampa in August.
The Washington Post said that Romney is now a strong opponent to incumbent Barack Obama.
Over the last few weeks the popularity gap between the two has narrowed down, with several recent national polls showing that the gap is within the margin of error.
"After a year of criticism that he didn`t have the strength or shrewdness to take on President Obama, Romney has emerged from the bruising primary as a formidable adversary.
"With the race firmly in general-election mode, he is a more disciplined campaigner than he was a few months ago and has pulled even with Obama in many national and swing-state polls," a newspaper said.
However, a news channel said it is not going to be easy for Romney.
"The reality of an incumbent`s particularly this incumbent`s fundraising power means Romney may have to focus more on message and more on his own personal story," the daily said.
"It`s a challenging task for somebody who lacks a classic rags-to-riches tale. But Romney the family man, Romney the faithful husband and Romney the determined businessman could start to make a bigger appearance as the race turns from a test of party purity to one of personal connections," the news channel said on its website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi