Romney blasted over `U-turn` on `47% remark`
Washington: CNN`s ``Starting Point`` anchor, Soledad O`Brien has accused Mitt Romney of ``stretching the truth``, suggesting the Republican presidential nominee was dishonest because he retracted from a controversial remark.
As O`Brien grilled Romney surrogate, Phil Gingrey on Friday`s edition of the show, she mentioned about Romney`s subsequent disavowing of a secretly recorded tape made in May, in which he had said that 47 percent of the country is dependent on the ``government safety net`` and thus, are unlikely to vote for him.
"So, to me, that is you say one thing for a certain audience to get them to support you and then you say something different, maybe completely contradictory, to another audience which some could define as lying," Fox News quoted O`Brien, as saying.
According to the report, the interview came two days after a debate between the presidential candidates, in which the general consensus was that Romney did well and President Obama turned in a lackluster performance.
O`Brien used a clip of post-debate Obama blasting Romney for claiming to be a champion of the middle class, saying "doesn`t (Obama) have a point there as he was on the campaign trail, that he (Romney) was dancing around and this is now a flip from what he said very, you know, specifically and concretely before?" the report said.
Romney had first said that his "47 percent" statement was "inelegant," then later called it "just plain wrong." O`Brien prodded Gingrey, opining that only Romney`s first response to the comment is credible and that his more fulsome repudiation was "politically expedient," the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you