Romney catching up, Obama still ahead in swing states
Washington: Even as a flurry of new polls indicated a neck and neck race nationally President Barack Obama maintained a narrow lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney in the swing states that could help him win.
Obama also remains roughly tied in the polls in two other states, Colorado and Virginia, that could serve as second lines of defence for him if he were to lose a state like Ohio, according to FiveThirtyEight, an influential poll watching blog in the New York Times.
But according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News tracking poll, massive outreach efforts by the Obama and Romney campaigns are shaking things up in critical swing states
Overall, the national contest has tipped back to 49 percent for Romney and 48 percent for President Obama, the Post said noting it was not a significant shift from Thursday`s 50 to 47 percent edge for Romney, and a return to the numbers from the previous two days.
Romney continues to hold the advantage when it comes to handling the economy, benefit from a campaign-high 60 percent support from white voters and has a bulging, 20-point advantage among political independents, according to the Post poll.
Obama counters with 82 percent support from non-whites, and is buoyed because the electorate is four percentage points more Democratic than Republican, it said.
The gap between the parties is an even more slender two percentage points when looking at the party "leanings" of independents and other non-partisans, the poll noted.
Meanwhile, a CNN/ORC International survey indicated the race for Ohio, arguably the most important battleground state remains very close.
Obama holds a four point advantage over Romney in the contest for Ohio`s much fought over 18 electoral votes with 50 percent of likely voters backing the president and 46 percent supporting the former Massachusetts governor.
Obama`s four point advantage is within the survey`s sampling error. The survey was conducted Tuesday through Thursday, entirely after Monday`s final presidential debate.
Surveys by other organizations conducted last month, before the first debate, had Obama ahead of Romney by seven to 10 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'