Romney comments unacceptable: Palestinian official
Jericho (Palestine): A senior Palestinian official says Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney`s assertion that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital is "absolutely unacceptable."
Palestinian officials have largely remained silent during Romney`s Israel trip, and Saeb Erekat`s comments on Monday marked the strongest public criticism so far of the candidate.
The Palestinians want to establish a capital in east Jerusalem, captured and annexed by Israel in 1967. Most of the world, including the US, does not recognize the annexation. The US and others keep their embassies in Tel Aviv.
Romney said yesterday that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital and strongly suggested he would move the US embassy to Jerusalem if he were president, supporting two key Israeli demands.
Erekat says Romney`s comments are "disturbing," reward "occupation and aggression" and go against long-standing US policy.
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?
- F-16s right platform for Pakistan's counter terrorism war: US
- In fight against impeachment, Brazil President Dilma Rousseff tries to win left support
- Uttarakhand forest fire: IAF's chopper MI-17 takes off from Nainital to drop water in affected areas - WATCH
- Inside pictures: Check out the best moments from Bipasha-Karan's wedding, reception