Romney comments unacceptable: Palestinian official
Jericho (Palestine): A senior Palestinian official says Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney`s assertion that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital is "absolutely unacceptable."
Palestinian officials have largely remained silent during Romney`s Israel trip, and Saeb Erekat`s comments on Monday marked the strongest public criticism so far of the candidate.
The Palestinians want to establish a capital in east Jerusalem, captured and annexed by Israel in 1967. Most of the world, including the US, does not recognize the annexation. The US and others keep their embassies in Tel Aviv.
Romney said yesterday that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital and strongly suggested he would move the US embassy to Jerusalem if he were president, supporting two key Israeli demands.
Erekat says Romney`s comments are "disturbing," reward "occupation and aggression" and go against long-standing US policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre