Romney comments unacceptable: Palestinian official
Jericho (Palestine): A senior Palestinian official says Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney`s assertion that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital is "absolutely unacceptable."
Palestinian officials have largely remained silent during Romney`s Israel trip, and Saeb Erekat`s comments on Monday marked the strongest public criticism so far of the candidate.
The Palestinians want to establish a capital in east Jerusalem, captured and annexed by Israel in 1967. Most of the world, including the US, does not recognize the annexation. The US and others keep their embassies in Tel Aviv.
Romney said yesterday that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital and strongly suggested he would move the US embassy to Jerusalem if he were president, supporting two key Israeli demands.
Erekat says Romney`s comments are "disturbing," reward "occupation and aggression" and go against long-standing US policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Worms found in burgers from two Kentucky McDonald’s restaurants
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced
- Astronomers find a 'dark' Milky Way
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!