Romney comments unacceptable: Palestinian official
Jericho (Palestine): A senior Palestinian official says Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney`s assertion that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital is "absolutely unacceptable."
Palestinian officials have largely remained silent during Romney`s Israel trip, and Saeb Erekat`s comments on Monday marked the strongest public criticism so far of the candidate.
The Palestinians want to establish a capital in east Jerusalem, captured and annexed by Israel in 1967. Most of the world, including the US, does not recognize the annexation. The US and others keep their embassies in Tel Aviv.
Romney said yesterday that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital and strongly suggested he would move the US embassy to Jerusalem if he were president, supporting two key Israeli demands.
Erekat says Romney`s comments are "disturbing," reward "occupation and aggression" and go against long-standing US policy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?