Romney comments unacceptable: Palestinian official
Jericho (Palestine): A senior Palestinian official says Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney`s assertion that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital is "absolutely unacceptable."
Palestinian officials have largely remained silent during Romney`s Israel trip, and Saeb Erekat`s comments on Monday marked the strongest public criticism so far of the candidate.
The Palestinians want to establish a capital in east Jerusalem, captured and annexed by Israel in 1967. Most of the world, including the US, does not recognize the annexation. The US and others keep their embassies in Tel Aviv.
Romney said yesterday that Jerusalem is Israel`s capital and strongly suggested he would move the US embassy to Jerusalem if he were president, supporting two key Israeli demands.
Erekat says Romney`s comments are "disturbing," reward "occupation and aggression" and go against long-standing US policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees