Romney continues to back Mourdock despite ‘God intended rape` remark
Washington: US Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who had distanced himself from Indiana GOP Senate candidate Richard Mourdock’s bizarre remarks that pregnancy resulting from rape is ‘something God intended’ is continuing to support him.
“We disagree on policy but still support him” and declined to pull the endorsement ad running in Indiana,” Romney’s campaign said.
In a press conference on Wednesday morning, Mourdock, stood by his comments, apologizing only to people misinterpreting his statement.
“I said life is precious. I believe life is precious. I believe rape is a brutal act. It is something that I abhor. That anyone could come away with any meaning other than what I just said is regrettable, and for that I apologize. The apology – as I said before, roll this tape back – is if anybody misinterpreted what I said,” he said.
“I absolutely abhor violence. I abhor sexual violence. I abhor rape. And I`m confident God abhors it,” the Guardian quoted Mourdock, as saying.
The Romney campaign said that while the presidential hopeful disagreed with Mourdock on when abortion should be allowed, he would not withdraw his support.
Romney’s press secretary Andrea Saul said that Romney ‘disagrees with Richard Mourdock, and Mr Mourdock``s comments do not reflect Governor Romney`s views’.
“We disagree on the policy regarding exceptions for rape and incest but still support him,” Saul added.
Both Mourdock and Romney`s campaign said that an advert Romney recorded endorsing Mourdock’s Senate bid would not be pulled, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi