`Romney got to let people know about Afghanistan plans`
Washington: US President Barack Obama has rapped Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney for not making any mention of Afghanistan during his acceptance speech.
At two Iowa events on Saturday, Obama said: “Governor Romney had nothing to say about Afghanistan last week. Didn’t mention it. Didn’t offer a plan in terms of how might end the war or, if he’s not going to end it, he’s got to let people know,” Obama told 2,800 on the campus of Morningside College.
According to Politico, Romney has taken heat across the political spectrum for not mentioning Afghanistan, and he was the first GOP nominee since 1952 to accept his party’s nomination without mentioning a foreign war.
Obama used the omission as the hook for the defence of his own foreign policy and a reminder that he’s kept his promises about how he’d handle the nation’s overseas wars, the report said.
“When I ended the war in Iraq, he said it was tragic,” Obama said, adding: “But you know what: I promised I would end the war and I did. I said we’d take out al Qaeda and go after bin Laden and we did.”
“I put forward a specific plan to bring our troops home from Afghanistan by the end of 2014. We are in the process of doing that right now. And when I say I’m going to bring ‘em home, you know they’re gonna come home,” Obama added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding