`Romney roars into double-digit lead in Florida`
Miami: White House hopeful Mitt Romney has opened up a commanding double-digit lead in Florida against main rival Newt Gingrich in their Republican nomination battle, the latest two polls showed today.
Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and millionaire venture capitalist who is considered the party establishment`s favored candidate, was routing former House
speaker Gingrich by 15 points, 42 per cent to 27 per cent, just two days before the crucial Florida primary, according to an NBC/Marist poll.
The Miami Herald in its own poll published today shows Romney ahead by 11 points.
Both surveys showed Christian conservative former senator Rick Santorum a distant third and libertarian-leaning congressman Ron Paul fourth.
Gingrich insisted on Fox News today that the race for the large southeastern state would be "close," but the poll figures showed otherwise.
"What does Gingrich need to do? I would say Romney would need to implode," Brad Coker, the pollster who conducted the Miami Herald survey of 800 registered Florida voters, said in the newspaper.
"If there`s no 11th-hour surprise... this race is looking right now like it`s over."
Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion at Marist College, which conducted the NBC poll, also said Romney appeared headed for a decisive Florida victory.
"The bottom line in all this is Romney`s sitting in the driver`s seat going into Tuesday," Miringoff said on the MSNBC website.
Florida is the most populous swing state in the country and promises to be the scene of a major campaign showdown ahead of November`s general election in which Republicans will seek to oust President Barack Obama, a Democrat.
The two polls were split on whether Obama or Romney would win in a November matchup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow