Romney stuck in Cold War mentality: Obama campaign
Washington: Hitting out at Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, for embracing the extreme elements of his party which would return the United States to the failed policies of the past, the Obama campaign has accused him of being stuck in the "Cold War mentality".
"Mitt Romney -- he`s embraced the most extreme elements in his party. They would return us to the failed policies of the past that weakened our standing in the world and made us less secure here at home," General (rtd) Wesley Clark told reporters in a conference call organised by the Obama Campaign yesterday.
"Let`s be clear. Romney`s reckless talk, the empty bluster, his world view, they all seem to be stuck in the Cold War mentality," he said.
Clark said that Romney, during his foreign policy trip earlier this summer, has embarrassed himself and insulted one of the country`s closest allies, the Britain, on the eve of the Olympic Games.
"He talks tough on China and Russia without recognising the ways we must both work with these countries on key challenges like confronting Iran while also being able to stand up to them when we disagree," he said.
Clark claimed that while Mitt Romney might believe that war, national security and veterans are just items on a "laundry list", the President Obama has stood strongly behind the troops and the military families.
"Our country`s been through times before when politicians and the government didn`t believe veterans were important. I`ve lived through those times, and we all know what the consequences are. Sadly, it seems like Mitt Romney would take our country back in that direction," he said.
Clark said that Romney`s failure to mention Afghanistan in his Republican presidential acceptance speech in Tampa last month is more than an "omission".
"It reveals a severe lack of understanding about the job as president. It doesn`t reflect well on what kind of leadership he would bring. And frankly, it`s just unbecoming of someone who wants to become commander-in-chief because our troops, veterans and military families deserve leaders who make them a priority," he said.
Afghanistan is the longest war in human history, he said, adding that the American people sense it`s time to bring it to a responsible end and to do some nation-building here at home.
"That`s exactly what President Obama has a plan to do: end the war in Afghanistan and bring our troops home. And that`s what Mitt Romney seems to be ignoring," the retired general said.
"When the President took office, our nation was bogged down in two wars. Many of al Qaeda`s leaders, including Osama bin Laden, were still at large. Our alliances had been seriously strained after eight years of the Bush administration," Clark said.
Clark said that Obama has not only kept his promise to end the war in Afghanistan, but also rebuilt alliances, which were seriously frayed when he took office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly