Romney to talk war on Iran during Israel visit
London: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is set to suggest declaring war on Iran during his visit to Israel this weekend in an attempt to salvage himself from accusations that he embarrassed America with his disastrous visit to London.
Romney would arrive in Israel on Saturday on the second leg of his overseas tour, and will suggest in a speech on Sunday to stop Iran from attaining nuclear weapons with harsh sanctions or force if needed.
Romney is of the opinion that a nuclear-armed Iran as ‘the greatest threat to the world’ and has adopted a more pugnacious tone than President Barack Obama, telling Tehran: “If you want peace, prepare for war”.
“Governor Romney has made it clear he doesn`t think that Obama`s policies have been sufficient,” The Telegraph quoted a foreign policy adviser to Romney, as saying.
“The President thinks that a nuclear Iran can be contained and deterred. He is clearly wrong,” the advisor added.
Romney’s visit to Jerusalem comes after his political opponents and one of America`s most celebrated athletes, Carl Lewis said he had disgraced the country during his three-day stop in London.
Harry Reid, the Democratic Senate leader said that it was “not good for us as a country” to “have somebody that`s nominated by one of the principal parties to go over and insult everybody.”
The former Massachusetts governor created a diplomatic row on Thursday by questioning London`s preparedness for the Olympics, prompting a reproach by David Cameron.
Lewis, the winner of nine Olympic gold medals for the US, said on Friday: “Seriously, some Americans just shouldn`t leave the country”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?