Romney to talk war on Iran during Israel visit
London: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is set to suggest declaring war on Iran during his visit to Israel this weekend in an attempt to salvage himself from accusations that he embarrassed America with his disastrous visit to London.
Romney would arrive in Israel on Saturday on the second leg of his overseas tour, and will suggest in a speech on Sunday to stop Iran from attaining nuclear weapons with harsh sanctions or force if needed.
Romney is of the opinion that a nuclear-armed Iran as ‘the greatest threat to the world’ and has adopted a more pugnacious tone than President Barack Obama, telling Tehran: “If you want peace, prepare for war”.
“Governor Romney has made it clear he doesn`t think that Obama`s policies have been sufficient,” The Telegraph quoted a foreign policy adviser to Romney, as saying.
“The President thinks that a nuclear Iran can be contained and deterred. He is clearly wrong,” the advisor added.
Romney’s visit to Jerusalem comes after his political opponents and one of America`s most celebrated athletes, Carl Lewis said he had disgraced the country during his three-day stop in London.
Harry Reid, the Democratic Senate leader said that it was “not good for us as a country” to “have somebody that`s nominated by one of the principal parties to go over and insult everybody.”
The former Massachusetts governor created a diplomatic row on Thursday by questioning London`s preparedness for the Olympics, prompting a reproach by David Cameron.
Lewis, the winner of nine Olympic gold medals for the US, said on Friday: “Seriously, some Americans just shouldn`t leave the country”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30