Romney using my son`s death against Obama: Navy SEAL’s mother
Washington: The mother of a US Navy SEAL killed in last month’s Libya consulate attack has rebuked Republican Presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s campaign for using her son’s death for political purposes.
Romney has been citing his meeting with Glen Doherty some years back and using his name during election campaigning He said that instead of running away from danger during the Benghazi consulate attack, Doherty had run towards it.
“They didn`t hunker down where they were in safety," Romney had said, adding: “They rushed there to go help. This is the American way. We go where there`s trouble”.
"We go where we`re needed. And right now we`re needed. Right now the American people need us," Romney added.
According to the BBC, Romney used the anecdote as a metaphor for what Republicans must do to regain the White House in November’s poll.
According to the report, the attack on the consulate in Benghazi on September 11 has become a political issue ahead of the election.
“I don’t trust Romney,” Barbara said, adding: “He shouldn`t make my son`s death part of his political agenda. It`s wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama”.
The Romney campaign said in a statement: “Governor Romney was inspired by the memory of meeting Glen Doherty and shared his story and that memory, but we respect the wishes of Mrs Doherty."
A campaign official confirmed Romney would not re-tell the anecdote, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report