Romney welcomes mass expulsion of Syrian diplomats
Washington: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is calling for more "assertive measures" against Syrian President Bashar Assad, including arming the Syrian opposition.
The Obama administration so far has declined to help arm the opposition.
Romney said in a written statement that he welcomed Tuesday`s mass expulsion of Syrian diplomats by the US and other countries to protest the weekend massacre of dozens of civilians, including children.
But he said the move underscores the need for stronger measures to end Assad`s regime. He said President Barack Obama`s "lack of leadership" had created a "policy of paralysis" that has led to the killing of an estimated 10,000 Syrians.
Romney called for increasing pressure on Russia to stop selling arms to Syria, and for Russia to end its obstruction at the United Nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand