Romney welcomes mass expulsion of Syrian diplomats
Washington: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is calling for more "assertive measures" against Syrian President Bashar Assad, including arming the Syrian opposition.
The Obama administration so far has declined to help arm the opposition.
Romney said in a written statement that he welcomed Tuesday`s mass expulsion of Syrian diplomats by the US and other countries to protest the weekend massacre of dozens of civilians, including children.
But he said the move underscores the need for stronger measures to end Assad`s regime. He said President Barack Obama`s "lack of leadership" had created a "policy of paralysis" that has led to the killing of an estimated 10,000 Syrians.
Romney called for increasing pressure on Russia to stop selling arms to Syria, and for Russia to end its obstruction at the United Nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends