Romney’s popularity among voters takes sharp dip
Washington: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is losing popularity among Americans, with just three months remaining to the November 06 elections, a new poll has showed.
The Washington Post-ABC News poll showed that 49 percent of voters have a negative view of the former Massachusetts governor, which was up from 45 percent in May.
In contrast, 53 percent of voters said they had a favourable opinion of current US President Barack Obama, while 43 percent said they felt negatively about him.
The poll revealed that by a margin of 53 percent to 40 percent, more key Independent voters see Obama favourably rather than unfavourably, while fifty percent of this group view Romney unfavourably, compared to 37 percent who consider him favourably.
Among supporters of his own Republican Party, 83 percent have a good feeling about Romney, but just 41 percent feel “strongly favourable”, while 61 percent of Democrats feel the same about Obama, the poll said.
A separate Quinnipiac University/New York Times/CBS News poll showed a tight race shaping up in the battleground states of Colorado, Virginia and Wisconsin, the three states that Obama won in 2008.
According to the poll, while Romney leads Obama 50 percent to 45 percent in Colorado, the President is ahead 49 percent to 45 percent in Virginia, and 51 percent to 45 percent in Wisconsin.
The Quinnipiac poll was conducted July 31 to August 06 and has a margin of error of 2.6 percentage points, while the Washington Post-ABC News poll was carried out August 01-05, surveyed 1,026 adults, and the margin of sampling error was plus or minus four percentage points, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader