Royal editor of The Sun arrested by Scotland Yard
London: Duncan Larcombe, royal editor of Rupert Murdoch-owned The Sun, was on Thursday arrested along with two others in connection with Scotland Yard`s inquiry into alleged illegal payments to public officials by journalists for information.
Officials from Operation Elveden carried out the arrests but did not name the individuals.
However, Larcombe has been identified in media reports as one of the three arrested during raids by detectives.
Scotland Yard said in a statement: "Today`s operation is the result of information provided to police by News Corporation`s management standards committee.
"It relates to suspected payments to a public official and is not about seeking journalists to reveal confidential sources in relation to information that has been obtained legitimately".
Larcombe, 36, who was The Sun`s defence editor until last year, was reportedly arrested at his home in Kent on suspicion of conspiracy to corrupt and conspiracy to cause misconduct in a public office.
He was being questioned at a police station in Kent.
An ex-serviceman, aged 42, and a 38-year-old woman were the other two arrested.
The man was held on suspicion of misconduct in a public office and the woman on suspicion of aiding and abetting misconduct in a public office.
They were being questioned at a police station in Lancashire.
The Management and Standards Committee was set up by Murdoch`s parent company News Corporation in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal that led to the closure of the News of the World last July.
The total number of people arrested under Operation Elveden is now 26.
In all, more than 50 people have been arrested by officers investigating phone hacking, computer hacking, and payments to public officials.
The arrests came a day after the Crown prosecution Service prosecutors announced that they were considering whether to bring charges against 11 suspects in the scandal, after police handed over the first set of files from its investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir