Royal editor of The Sun arrested by Scotland Yard
London: Duncan Larcombe, royal editor of Rupert Murdoch-owned The Sun, was on Thursday arrested along with two others in connection with Scotland Yard`s inquiry into alleged illegal payments to public officials by journalists for information.
Officials from Operation Elveden carried out the arrests but did not name the individuals.
However, Larcombe has been identified in media reports as one of the three arrested during raids by detectives.
Scotland Yard said in a statement: "Today`s operation is the result of information provided to police by News Corporation`s management standards committee.
"It relates to suspected payments to a public official and is not about seeking journalists to reveal confidential sources in relation to information that has been obtained legitimately".
Larcombe, 36, who was The Sun`s defence editor until last year, was reportedly arrested at his home in Kent on suspicion of conspiracy to corrupt and conspiracy to cause misconduct in a public office.
He was being questioned at a police station in Kent.
An ex-serviceman, aged 42, and a 38-year-old woman were the other two arrested.
The man was held on suspicion of misconduct in a public office and the woman on suspicion of aiding and abetting misconduct in a public office.
They were being questioned at a police station in Lancashire.
The Management and Standards Committee was set up by Murdoch`s parent company News Corporation in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal that led to the closure of the News of the World last July.
The total number of people arrested under Operation Elveden is now 26.
In all, more than 50 people have been arrested by officers investigating phone hacking, computer hacking, and payments to public officials.
The arrests came a day after the Crown prosecution Service prosecutors announced that they were considering whether to bring charges against 11 suspects in the scandal, after police handed over the first set of files from its investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees