Royal hoax call prankster back on air in Australia
Melbourne: One of the two Australian radio presenters whose royal prank call to a British hospital treating Kate Middleton went awry and created a furore when an Indian-origin nurse committed suicide, returned on air on Monday.
Radio host Michael Christian, one of two Southern Cross Austereo presenters at the centre of the disastrous royal prank, has resumed work.
It all started with what was supposed to be a prank call to London`s King Edward VII Hospital that was treating a pregnant Kate Middleton for acute morning sickness.
Jacintha Saldanha, 46, was the duty nurse when DJs Mel Grieg and Christian called the hospital pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles, asking about the Duchess`s condition.
She forwarded the call to another nurse, who divulged confidential medical information about Kate.
The prank was broadcast by 2Day FM within hours, and made headlines around the world.
Saldanha was found dead on December 7 in the nurses` quarters three days later, having hanged herself with a scarf.
One of three suicide notes left behind by Saldanha reportedly blamed the DJs` prank for her death.
Christian went on air today as a presenter of Melbourne`s morning slot on the Austereo station Fox FM.
A spokesperson for Southern Cross Austereo confirmed Christian was back at work and that, when she felt able, Grieg would also be welcomed back to work.
"We are happy to have Michael back on air," Southern Cross Austereo CEO Rhys Holleran was quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald as saying.
"We have always supported our talent returning to work when appropriate and today marks that occasion for MC. We look forward to welcoming Mel Grieg back when the time is right," he said.
It is the station and slot Christian worked on prior to the prank.
Austereo had immediately suspended the pair after the controversy and had offered them counseling.
Austereo had also cancelled the Hot 30 show, on which the prank occurred, following a furore over the incident. A company-wide suspension of prank calls was also implemented.
The incident drew wide condemnation. Many blamed the pair for the nurse`s death and Southern Cross Austereo was heavily criticised for encouraging a culture of attention-seeking misbehaviour by its hosts to drive ratings.
"If we played any involvement in her death then we`re very sorry for that.," Christian had later said in a TV interview.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues