Royal wedding made British people `very proud`: PM
London: The wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton gave a chance for the nation to celebrate the whole Royal Family and made people feel "very proud to be British", Prime Minister David Cameron said on Sunday.
Cameron said the British public had shed their normal reserve and showed that "when we go for it, we really go for it".
The day had been about more than the marriage of William and Kate and had given the nation the chance to celebrate the whole Royal Family, he said.
Cameron, a guest at Friday`s ceremony, told BBC1`s Andrew Marr Show: "Sitting there in Westminster Abbey, you felt you were part of some extraordinary fairytale.”
"It was absolutely beautiful, gripping, moving and, singing Jerusalem with the London Symphony Orchestra behind you, it felt like the roof was going to lift off and there was just no better place, no better country to be in at that moment.”
"I think it made a lot of people feel very proud to be British, it certainly did with me."
He added: "Is it more than two young people in love?”
"I think it is, I think the institution of our monarchy, the public service given by the Royal Family, the public service given particularly by Her Majesty the Queen, is something that we all want to celebrate and this gave us an opportunity.”
"And while we are quite a reserved lot, actually when we go for it, we really go for it and the sun came out and it was a wonderful day," The Sun quoted Cameron as saying.
Cameron and his wife Samantha hosted a street party outside Number 10 following the wedding ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire