Royals feared attack on Prince Charles during Diana’s funeral
London: A new account has claimed that there were fears over Prince Charles’ safety during the funeral of Princess Diana in September 1997.
In extracts from his diaries published in The Guardian, Alastair Campbell writes that a senior official of St James` Palace was sent to warn the Prince of Wales of the threat of being attacked by a member of the public if he walked behind Princess Diana’s coffin alone.
As a result, Prince William was asked to walk behind his mother`s coffin, claimed the former Downing Street director of communications.
Campbell further claimed that William, then 15, was "consumed by a total hatred of the media" because Princess Diana was killed along with Dodi Fayed when their car crashed in Paris, while being chased by media photographers.
Writing in `Power and the People`, Campbell reveals former British prime minister Tony Blair advised the Queen to show her "vulnerable" side in a bid to turn around a public backlash against the royal family.
Campbell wrote that fears over Prince Charles’ safety became clear during a conference call on September 04, 1997 with courtiers for the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at Balmoral.
Prince Charles` press secretary Sandy Henney was later sent to advise Prince William that his mother would have wanted him to follow her coffin.
"Sandy Henney had been sent up to try to explain why he might do it," wrote Campbell. "She was obviously saying it was what his mother would have wanted whilst there was also the fact it would avoid the risk of Charles being publicly attacked."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared