Royals feared attack on Prince Charles during Diana’s funeral
London: A new account has claimed that there were fears over Prince Charles’ safety during the funeral of Princess Diana in September 1997.
In extracts from his diaries published in The Guardian, Alastair Campbell writes that a senior official of St James` Palace was sent to warn the Prince of Wales of the threat of being attacked by a member of the public if he walked behind Princess Diana’s coffin alone.
As a result, Prince William was asked to walk behind his mother`s coffin, claimed the former Downing Street director of communications.
Campbell further claimed that William, then 15, was "consumed by a total hatred of the media" because Princess Diana was killed along with Dodi Fayed when their car crashed in Paris, while being chased by media photographers.
Writing in `Power and the People`, Campbell reveals former British prime minister Tony Blair advised the Queen to show her "vulnerable" side in a bid to turn around a public backlash against the royal family.
Campbell wrote that fears over Prince Charles’ safety became clear during a conference call on September 04, 1997 with courtiers for the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at Balmoral.
Prince Charles` press secretary Sandy Henney was later sent to advise Prince William that his mother would have wanted him to follow her coffin.
"Sandy Henney had been sent up to try to explain why he might do it," wrote Campbell. "She was obviously saying it was what his mother would have wanted whilst there was also the fact it would avoid the risk of Charles being publicly attacked."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy