Royals `waiting by telephone` for Kate Middleton`s baby
London: Members of the royal family were "waiting by the telephone" for word of the imminent birth of Prince William and his wife Kate`s first child, expected this week amid a heatwave in London and rising royal baby fever.
Photographers and TV crews from Britain, the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan and China, have been outside St Mary`s Hospital in London since July 1 waiting for the couple`s first child who, regardless of sex, will be third-in-line to the throne.
Royal officials have remained vague on the due date, only saying mid-July, but there was a noticeable rise in anticipation on Tuesday following remarks by Camilla, the wife of William`s father and heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles.
"Hopefully by the end of the week, he or she will be there," Camilla said during an official visit in southwest England. "We are all just waiting by the telephone."
As the days of waiting for the new royal heir have rolled into weeks, rumours have sped around the Internet and via Twitter where an account has been set up for the Royal Foetus and the hashtag GreatKateWait is widely used.
The waiting game has proved a boon for bookmakers offering odds on the date of the birth and for public relations companies pulling royal-related stunts to capture the interest of bored journalists looking to fill the time and publication pages.
One bookmaker sent four oversized toddlers with crowns to Buckingham Palace while US
TV station NBC stuck a sweepstake on a wall by the hospital for bets on the arrival date.
On Tuesday, a photo of William and Kate lookalikes pushing a pram in a park splashed the front page of one British newspaper.
Good News Story
The Washington Post has described the child of the popular royal couple who married in April 2011 in front of a global TV audience of two billion as the "world`s most famous baby".
"For us it`s nice to be at the front seat of any historic moment," Francis D`Souza, a TV anchor and reporter from CityNews in Toronto, told a news agency.
"Canadians love the royals and ... especially love this couple. They`re not old and stodgy and stuffy. Before this we were in Calgary, where people had lost everything in the floods. Here the tears are happiness."
To celebrate the baby`s arrival, the city of Toronto has announced plans to light up its CN Tower in pink or blue depending on the sex of the royal baby as has Niagara Falls.
The gender of the baby, who will displace Prince Harry as third to the throne behind grandfather Charles and father William, is said to be unknown as the couple want a surprise.
But bookmakers expect a girl and have made Alexandra the favourite for the baby`s name, followed by Charlotte, Diana and Elizabeth. George and James are hotly tipped if it is a boy.
Prince William, a helicopter search-and-rescue pilot, is on standby to join Kate for the birth at the hospital where he was born to the late Princess Diana 31 years ago. The baby will be future heir regardless of sex.
The birth will be announced in the traditional way with an envelope containing the baby`s details taken from the hospital to Buckingham Palace, where the news will be posted outside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in