Rudd branded “prime minister in exile" by Oz opposition
Canberra: Australia’s newly appointed Foreign minister Kevin Rudd, who would resume his foreign trips soon, has been branded as the “prime minister in exile," by the opposition.
News.com.au quoted the opposition as saying, “Firsts we had the palace coup, now we have a prime minister in exile.”
“Rudd clearly sees himself as Australia``s prime minister in exile. The relationship between the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister is fractured at best," the Deputy Leader of the Opposition, Julie Bishop said.
Rudd would reportedly be leaving for New York to address the United Nations after his swearing ceremony today, and then to the US on Friday to participate in talks on climate change.
He would also hold meetings with representatives from the Obama administration while in the United States for the UN general assembly. He will be at the UN from September 18 to September 25.
The Prime Minister’s office has said that Rudd would also participate in a range of other meetings, including bilateral meetings with representatives of other governments present in New York. Besides, he would attend a meeting of the UN Secretary General’s High-Level Panel on Global Sustainability.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard gave Rudd the portfolio on Saturday, after deposing him from the top job in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital
- WOAH! Pakistani journalist silences Piers Morgan after he taunts Indians using Sachin Tendulkar's example