Rumsfeld admits `possible` Iraq troop mistakes
Washington: Former US defence secretary
Donald Rumsfeld said in an interview on Monday the world was
better off without Saddam Hussein but conceded his troop
decisions in the Iraq war may have been wrong.
In his first television interview since leaving public
life in December 2006 after a long and divisive tenure at the
Pentagon, Rumsfeld also ripped into some of George W. Bush`s
closest advisers, saying Condoleezza Rice lacked experience
and Colin Powell showed poor management skills.
The television appearance is part of Rumsfeld`s effort
to promote his new memoir, "Known Unknown," which is due to be
released tomorrow and which recounts his career in government
spanning Republican presidents from Richard Nixon to George W.
The ex-defence chief was reluctant to endorse his
former boss`s assessment that the decision to draw down US
troops shortly after the 2003 invasion of Iraq was "the most
important failure in the execution of the war."
"I don`t have enough confidence to say that that`s
right. I think that it`s possible," Rumsfeld told ABC News
anchor Diane Sawyer.
"We had (an) enormous number of troops ready to go in.
They had -- we had off-ramps, if they weren`t needed.
"It`s hard to know... You know, the path you didn`t
take is always smoother," he said.
Rumsfeld, who served as Bush`s defence chief for six
years after holding the the same job under president Gerald
Ford in the 1970s, acknowledged that "in a war, many things
But he had no regrets about his leadership for the
wars in Iraq and Afghanistan -- the latter now nearing its
"I think the world`s a better place with Saddam
Hussein gone and with the Taliban gone and the Al-Qaeda out of
Afghanistan," Rumsfeld said, insisting the Bush administration
made only an "incremental" move toward invading Iraq in the
wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj