Russia: 1,000 people evacuated due to flood
Vladivostok: At least 1,000 people were evacuated on Monday after a flood inundated half of a town in Russia`s Far Eastern Yakutia region, Itar-Tass news agency reported.
Most of the evacuees in the town of Srednekolymsk, which has 3,500 inhabitants, had moved to homes of their relatives or acquaintances, and approximately 150 people were being sheltered at three evacuation centers.
Water from the Kolyma River has reached roofs of houses built in low lands in Srednekolymsk.
Forecasts said the situation was unlikely to improve in the town, which had not experienced such a devastating flood for decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- BSP leader Brajesh Pathak joins BJP
- Piaggio launches Aprilia SR 150 in India priced at Rs 65,000
- Family of killed Dalit youths, who died in 2012 Gujarat police firing, demand CBI probe
- Won't camouflage baby bump on screen: Kareena
- J&K unrest: Kashmiris are not stone-pelters, only few are disturbing peace, says Mehbooba Mufti