Russia: 1,000 people evacuated due to flood
Vladivostok: At least 1,000 people were evacuated on Monday after a flood inundated half of a town in Russia`s Far Eastern Yakutia region, Itar-Tass news agency reported.
Most of the evacuees in the town of Srednekolymsk, which has 3,500 inhabitants, had moved to homes of their relatives or acquaintances, and approximately 150 people were being sheltered at three evacuation centers.
Water from the Kolyma River has reached roofs of houses built in low lands in Srednekolymsk.
Forecasts said the situation was unlikely to improve in the town, which had not experienced such a devastating flood for decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen