Russia: 3 militants, 1 police killed in Caucasus
Rostov-On-Don (Russia): Russian officials say three militants and a policeman have been killed in two separate incidents in Russia`s violence plagued Dagestan province.
Dagestan Interior Ministry spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said the militants were killed in a shootout that started in the provincial capital, Makhachkala, after police stopped a suspicious car. Two policemen were wounded in the shootout, he said.
Also today, police in Buinaksk town found the body of a police officer with gunshot wounds and tied hands, Gasanov said.
Dagestan, a multiethnic and mostly Muslim province of 2 million, is at the epicenter of almost daily attacks and clashes between police and Islamic militants.
The violence stems from two separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya, and human rights groups have said it is fueled by extrajudicial killings and kidnappings committed by federal forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister