Russia: 3 militants, 1 police killed in Caucasus
Rostov-On-Don (Russia): Russian officials say three militants and a policeman have been killed in two separate incidents in Russia`s violence plagued Dagestan province.
Dagestan Interior Ministry spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said the militants were killed in a shootout that started in the provincial capital, Makhachkala, after police stopped a suspicious car. Two policemen were wounded in the shootout, he said.
Also today, police in Buinaksk town found the body of a police officer with gunshot wounds and tied hands, Gasanov said.
Dagestan, a multiethnic and mostly Muslim province of 2 million, is at the epicenter of almost daily attacks and clashes between police and Islamic militants.
The violence stems from two separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya, and human rights groups have said it is fueled by extrajudicial killings and kidnappings committed by federal forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about