Russia: 3 militants, 1 police killed in Caucasus
Rostov-On-Don (Russia): Russian officials say three militants and a policeman have been killed in two separate incidents in Russia`s violence plagued Dagestan province.
Dagestan Interior Ministry spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said the militants were killed in a shootout that started in the provincial capital, Makhachkala, after police stopped a suspicious car. Two policemen were wounded in the shootout, he said.
Also today, police in Buinaksk town found the body of a police officer with gunshot wounds and tied hands, Gasanov said.
Dagestan, a multiethnic and mostly Muslim province of 2 million, is at the epicenter of almost daily attacks and clashes between police and Islamic militants.
The violence stems from two separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya, and human rights groups have said it is fueled by extrajudicial killings and kidnappings committed by federal forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing