Russia accuses US of avoiding direct contacts over Syria
Moscow: Russian Foreign Ministry Wednesday accused the US of steadily avoiding direct contacts with Moscow over developments involving Syria.
"Commencing Saturday, Aug 31, the US State Department repeatedly requested phone call with (Russian foreign minister) Sergei Lavrov. Although we have constantly confirmed it, the US side every time informed us there was no possibility to get through to the secretary of state," ministry spokesperson Alexander Lukashevich said, Xinhua reported.
He added that Russian attempts to set up an exact time for a phone conversation with John Kerry have also been left unanswered.
In a separate statement, the foreign ministry said that US intentions to carry out a military strike against Syria would contradict the core of international law.
"Response of the international community and separate states on chemical weapons use must fit the strict legal frames. Any reaction must be backed by the results of a thorough independent investigation," it said.
Moscow said if Damascus actually used chemical weapons, it could be qualified as violation of the international law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees