Russia accuses US of avoiding direct contacts over Syria
Moscow: Russian Foreign Ministry Wednesday accused the US of steadily avoiding direct contacts with Moscow over developments involving Syria.
"Commencing Saturday, Aug 31, the US State Department repeatedly requested phone call with (Russian foreign minister) Sergei Lavrov. Although we have constantly confirmed it, the US side every time informed us there was no possibility to get through to the secretary of state," ministry spokesperson Alexander Lukashevich said, Xinhua reported.
He added that Russian attempts to set up an exact time for a phone conversation with John Kerry have also been left unanswered.
In a separate statement, the foreign ministry said that US intentions to carry out a military strike against Syria would contradict the core of international law.
"Response of the international community and separate states on chemical weapons use must fit the strict legal frames. Any reaction must be backed by the results of a thorough independent investigation," it said.
Moscow said if Damascus actually used chemical weapons, it could be qualified as violation of the international law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Priyanka teams with Jodie Foster to reinvent song
- Akshay Kumar hides daughter Nitara's face from the paps and it's so CUTE! Picture proof inside
- Banning cash transactions over Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT
- Both US and India have been tolerant nations since their existence: Acharya Lokesh
- Narsingh Yadav dope case: Grappler took banned substance intentionally, claims CAS