Russia accuses US of avoiding direct contacts over Syria
Moscow: Russian Foreign Ministry Wednesday accused the US of steadily avoiding direct contacts with Moscow over developments involving Syria.
"Commencing Saturday, Aug 31, the US State Department repeatedly requested phone call with (Russian foreign minister) Sergei Lavrov. Although we have constantly confirmed it, the US side every time informed us there was no possibility to get through to the secretary of state," ministry spokesperson Alexander Lukashevich said, Xinhua reported.
He added that Russian attempts to set up an exact time for a phone conversation with John Kerry have also been left unanswered.
In a separate statement, the foreign ministry said that US intentions to carry out a military strike against Syria would contradict the core of international law.
"Response of the international community and separate states on chemical weapons use must fit the strict legal frames. Any reaction must be backed by the results of a thorough independent investigation," it said.
Moscow said if Damascus actually used chemical weapons, it could be qualified as violation of the international law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'