Russia accuses US of `blackmail` over Syria chemical weapons surrender deal
London: Russia has accused the United States of trying to blackmail it during negotiations over what to do about Syria`s chemical weapons.
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that the West is attempting to use a UN resolution over chemical weapons to pave the way for military action.
According to Sky News, he claimed the US was threatening to stop work on implementing Syria`s chemical disarmament deal unless Russia supports a UN Security Council resolution allowing military intervention.
He said that the West was trying to push through a resolution under Chapter VII, adding that, if they were successful, they would try and move the chemical weapons convention aside to advance individual, personal or geopolitical, state ambitions, the report said.
He said resolution under Chapter VII, which authorised the use of force, contradicts his agreement with US Secretary of State John Kerry.
Russia has put forward a plan to bring Syria`s chemical weapons under international control in response to calls for action to be taken.
Syria has agreed but the final plan is still to be worked out and is subject to a degree of ratification by the United Nations.
According to the report, under the plan, Syria has time until 2014 to destroy its chemical weapons stockpile, but the US, Britain and France want the order underpinned by UN charter`s Chapter VII.
Chapter VII allows for sanctions or even military intervention in the event that an order is not carried out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof