Russia appeals for political transition in Syria
Moscow: Russia appealed Saturday for a political transition in Syria, a day after UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi held tripartite talks in Geneva on ending the nearly two-year-old crisis.
"It is necessary to secure the launch of a political transition process in Syria aimed at enshrining in law guaranteed and equal rights of all ethnic-confessional groups of this country," reported Xinhua citing Russian foreign ministry in a statement.
The ministry, however, reiterated that it remained "firmly convinced that Syria`s future must be decided by the Syrians themselves, without any interference from outside and without the imposition of ready development recipes".
In line with the Geneva Communique agreed at the Action Group`s meeting June 30, 2012, Russia had "positively responded to the initiative of continuing consultations in this format," the statement said.
"At the same time, we are convinced that priority should be given to immediately stopping any violence and bloodshed and rendering humanitarian aid to the Syrians, including internally displaced persons and refugees," it said.
After the Geneva meeting, which drew together Brahimi, Russian deputy foreign minister Mikhail Bogdanov and US Undersecretary of State William Burns, the Russian minister met a delegation of the Syrian opposition Democratic Forum, the Interfax reported.
The two sides discussed the situation and looked at the possibility of launching a broad national dialogue in accordance with the Geneva Communique.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP