Russia asks Romanian diplomat to leave over alleged espionage
Moscow: Russia on Monday declared a senior Romanian diplomat "persona non grata" asking him to leave the country within 48 hours for alleged spying.
The Federal Security Service (FSB) has identified the alleged spy as Gabriel Grecu, first secretary of the political department of the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
"The Russian Foreign Ministry has protested via diplomatic channels to the Romanian side over Grecu`s activities, which were incongruous with his diplomatic status," the FSB said in a statement.
The Romanian diplomat was detained in Moscow while trying to obtain military secrets from a Russian national and espionage equipment was seized from him, fully substantiating his activities hostile to the Russian Federation, the FSB claimed.
No comments were immediately available from the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
Former Soviet ally in Warsaw Pact, Romania is now a member of US-led NATO bloc and a member state of the European Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir