Russia asks Romanian diplomat to leave over alleged espionage
Moscow: Russia on Monday declared a senior Romanian diplomat "persona non grata" asking him to leave the country within 48 hours for alleged spying.
The Federal Security Service (FSB) has identified the alleged spy as Gabriel Grecu, first secretary of the political department of the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
"The Russian Foreign Ministry has protested via diplomatic channels to the Romanian side over Grecu`s activities, which were incongruous with his diplomatic status," the FSB said in a statement.
The Romanian diplomat was detained in Moscow while trying to obtain military secrets from a Russian national and espionage equipment was seized from him, fully substantiating his activities hostile to the Russian Federation, the FSB claimed.
No comments were immediately available from the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
Former Soviet ally in Warsaw Pact, Romania is now a member of US-led NATO bloc and a member state of the European Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video