Russia asks Romanian diplomat to leave over alleged espionage
Moscow: Russia on Monday declared a senior Romanian diplomat "persona non grata" asking him to leave the country within 48 hours for alleged spying.
The Federal Security Service (FSB) has identified the alleged spy as Gabriel Grecu, first secretary of the political department of the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
"The Russian Foreign Ministry has protested via diplomatic channels to the Romanian side over Grecu`s activities, which were incongruous with his diplomatic status," the FSB said in a statement.
The Romanian diplomat was detained in Moscow while trying to obtain military secrets from a Russian national and espionage equipment was seized from him, fully substantiating his activities hostile to the Russian Federation, the FSB claimed.
No comments were immediately available from the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
Former Soviet ally in Warsaw Pact, Romania is now a member of US-led NATO bloc and a member state of the European Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint