Russia asks Romanian diplomat to leave over alleged espionage
Moscow: Russia on Monday declared a senior Romanian diplomat "persona non grata" asking him to leave the country within 48 hours for alleged spying.
The Federal Security Service (FSB) has identified the alleged spy as Gabriel Grecu, first secretary of the political department of the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
"The Russian Foreign Ministry has protested via diplomatic channels to the Romanian side over Grecu`s activities, which were incongruous with his diplomatic status," the FSB said in a statement.
The Romanian diplomat was detained in Moscow while trying to obtain military secrets from a Russian national and espionage equipment was seized from him, fully substantiating his activities hostile to the Russian Federation, the FSB claimed.
No comments were immediately available from the Romanian Embassy in Moscow.
Former Soviet ally in Warsaw Pact, Romania is now a member of US-led NATO bloc and a member state of the European Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption
- Indian ISIS operative says he met Paris bombing accused in Iraq last year