Russia bans entry of US naval officer
Moscow: Russia has denied a visa to a high-ranking US Navy officer suspected by Moscow of human rights violations, a minister said Friday.
"We did not let in a US general who used to be a chief of the Guantanamo prison," Xinhua quoted First Deputy Foreign Minister Andrey Denisov as saying.
Russia enacted Jan 1 a law which, among other measures, bans the entry of US officers into Russia if they have been suspected of violating human rights.
Denisov did not name the US officer.
According to Russian media reports, the visa was denied to Rear Admiral Jeffrey Harbeson who was a commandant of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba in 2010-2011.
He is currently deputy director for politico-military affairs for Europe, NATO and Russia in the office of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco