Russia bans entry of US naval officer
Moscow: Russia has denied a visa to a high-ranking US Navy officer suspected by Moscow of human rights violations, a minister said Friday.
"We did not let in a US general who used to be a chief of the Guantanamo prison," Xinhua quoted First Deputy Foreign Minister Andrey Denisov as saying.
Russia enacted Jan 1 a law which, among other measures, bans the entry of US officers into Russia if they have been suspected of violating human rights.
Denisov did not name the US officer.
According to Russian media reports, the visa was denied to Rear Admiral Jeffrey Harbeson who was a commandant of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba in 2010-2011.
He is currently deputy director for politico-military affairs for Europe, NATO and Russia in the office of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?