Russia bans entry of US naval officer
Moscow: Russia has denied a visa to a high-ranking US Navy officer suspected by Moscow of human rights violations, a minister said Friday.
"We did not let in a US general who used to be a chief of the Guantanamo prison," Xinhua quoted First Deputy Foreign Minister Andrey Denisov as saying.
Russia enacted Jan 1 a law which, among other measures, bans the entry of US officers into Russia if they have been suspected of violating human rights.
Denisov did not name the US officer.
According to Russian media reports, the visa was denied to Rear Admiral Jeffrey Harbeson who was a commandant of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba in 2010-2011.
He is currently deputy director for politico-military affairs for Europe, NATO and Russia in the office of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Happy to be working during pregnancy: Kareena Kapoor Khan
- Pfizer says acquiring biotech firm Medivation for $14 billion
- Asian Filmmaker award posthumously for Abbas Kiarostami at Busan
- Infosys denies laying off 500 people, says 'few' asked to leave for non-performance
- Vivek Oberoi to be trained by Daniel Craig's trainer