Russia bans entry of US naval officer
Moscow: Russia has denied a visa to a high-ranking US Navy officer suspected by Moscow of human rights violations, a minister said Friday.
"We did not let in a US general who used to be a chief of the Guantanamo prison," Xinhua quoted First Deputy Foreign Minister Andrey Denisov as saying.
Russia enacted Jan 1 a law which, among other measures, bans the entry of US officers into Russia if they have been suspected of violating human rights.
Denisov did not name the US officer.
According to Russian media reports, the visa was denied to Rear Admiral Jeffrey Harbeson who was a commandant of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba in 2010-2011.
He is currently deputy director for politico-military affairs for Europe, NATO and Russia in the office of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!