Russia brands Kiev`s new leaders mutineers
Moscow: Moscow on Monday questioned the legitimacy of Kiev`s new leadership, accusing them of leading an `armed mutiny` in Ukraine and revealing anti-Russian tendencies in the former Soviet republic.
In the strongest reaction yet from Moscow to the transfer of power from Ukraine`s disappeared President Viktor Yanukovych to the overwhelmingly pro-European opposition, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Moscow cannot negotiate with rebels who "carry Kalashnikovs".
He said that Western countries who think otherwise must be deluded.
"Strictly speaking, there is no one for us to communicate with there today," he told Russian news agencies.
To think the new leadership has legitimacy is "some kind of an aberration of perception when people call legitimate what is essentially the result of an armed mutiny," he added.
The Russian foreign ministry issued an even more hostile statement, saying that the Ukrainian parliament has "set a course to suppress those who do not agree in various regions of Ukraine using dictatorial and sometimes even terrorist methods".
"Militants are not disarmed, they refuse to leave the streets that they de-facto control, to go out of administrative buildings, they continue acts of violence," the ministry said.
It also accused "western partners" of a hidden agenda in Kiev, saying: "We see in the position of some of our western partners not concern for the fate of Ukraine but a one-sided geopolitical calculation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year