Russia, Britain agree nuclear power reactors deal
Moscow: Russian state nuclear company Rosatom, Rolls-Royce and Finnish utility Fortum agreed on Thursday to consider building nuclear power plants in Britain.
"A cooperation agreement was signed between Rosatom state corporation, Rolls-Royce and Fortum whose goal is to jointly study the possibilities for building and maintaining nuclear power stations with water-water power reactors in Britain," Rosatom said.
The agreement was signed after talks between Rosatom chief Sergei Kiriyenko and British Business and Energy Minister Michael Fallon in Moscow.
"The sides consider the British energy market attractive because the largest part of the existing fleet of Britain`s nuclear power stations is planned to be phased out over the medium term," Rosatom said.
The statement did not release any financial details.
Kiriyenko and Fallon also signed an agreement for Russia and Britain to cooperate in the nuclear energy sphere.
"I welcome the partnership between the UK and Russia on civil nuclear cooperation," Fallon was quoted as saying in a Rolls-Royce statement.
Rolls-Royce and Rosatom have worked closely together since 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31