Russia can stop Syrian bloodshed: Israel
Moscow: Israeli President Shimon Peres has said Russia can stop the bloodshed in Syria and bring peace to the Middle East.
"The border with Syria has been silent for many years, and we would like it to stay that way," Peres said on Thursday after holding talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin here.
"I believe Russia and you have an important role: you can stop the bloodshed in Syria and bring peace and security not only to Syria but also to the Middle East," he said.
The Syrian conflict has claimed tens of thousands of lives, according to various Syrian opposition groups. The UN puts the toll at 20,000-30,000 people.
The Israeli President also said that "those who deny the possibility of a disaster in Iran may indirectly cause it".
"Neither you nor we hate Iran, but both -- we and you -- want to live in a world without fear and tension," he said.
The West is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad`s ouster while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria. They maintain that the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
Veto-wielding Moscow and Beijing have three times blocked sanctions resolutions on Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report