Russia completes restructuring of its command structure
Moscow: Russia has completed the
restructuring of its command structure by putting in place
four integrated strategic commands to replace traditional
military districts, Defence Minster Anatoly Serdyukov said.
"We finished the work just last week," Serdyukov
said during his meeting with top military inspectors.
In his televised remarks, Serdyukov also said that
under the military reform the armed forces would be equipped
with new weapons by 2020.
"There were no such armament programmes for a long
time. As a result of the re-armament of the Russian Armed
Forces, modern weaponry will account for 30 per cent by 2015
and 70 per cent by 2020," Serdyukov said.
Under the Kremlin`s military reforms, out of six
Russian military districts two have been abolished by merging
four strategic commands with integrated command.
The Western Command, with headquarters in Moscow, will
control all servicemen and hardware in the Western Military
The new district will incorporate the former Moscow
and Leningrad military districts and the Baltic and Northern
The Southern Command, with headquarters in
Rostov-on-Don, will be in-charge of the Southern Military
District, which will include the former North Caucasian
Military District and the Black Sea Fleet and Caspian
The Central Command, with headquarters in
Yekaterinburg, will control the Central Military District,
including the former Volga-Urals Military District and the
western part of the Siberian Military District.
The Eastern Command headquartered in Khabarovsk, will
have be in-charge of the Pacific Fleet, the Far Eastern
Military District and the most of Siberia, previously covered
by Siberian Military District.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre