Russia condemns attacks on journalists in Syria
Moscow: Russia has strongly condemned attacks on journalists in Syria and has called on countries that have influence on Syrian rebels to take steps to ensure the security of media representatives working in the conflict-hit country.
"Moscow treats with growing concern the information that we have received from Damascus about representatives of Syrian and international media being attacked by illegal armed groups with growing frequency," deputy Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.
The spokeswoman cited the kidnapping of four employees of Syria`s pro-government al-Ikhbariya TV channel on August 10 and reports about the killing of a senior journalist of the state-run Syrian Sana news agency on August 11 as recent examples of such attacks.
The al-Ikhbariya employees were kidnapped while on assignment in Damascus.
Al-Ikhbariya said cameraman Hatem Abu Yahia, who was among the kidnapped employees, is believed to have been killed.
A video footage posted on the Internet showed his three surviving colleagues who said they were being held by rebel forces.
A man who identified himself as a rebel spokesperson said in the video that the cameraman was killed in government shelling.
"We condemn in the most decisive way terrorist attacks on journalists who ensure the implementation of fundamental democratic rights of citizens to receive objective information, as well as the freedom of speech and opinion," the Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said.
International organisations as well as countries that have influence on the Syrian opposition "cannot stand on the sidelines and fail to react" to such attacks, she added.
The Syrian government said that an "armed terrorist group" assassinated Sana journalist Ali Abbas at his residence in Jdaidet Artouz, to the southwest of Damascus.
Earlier in August, al-Nusra Front, an Islamist group that has claimed responsibility for several suicide attacks in Syria, said it had killed a prominent Syrian TV host, Mohammad al-Said, who was kidnapped from Jdaidet Artouz by gunmen in July.
In June, seven Al-Ikhbariya employees were killed in an attack by an armed group on the TV channel`s headquarters in the outskirts of Damascus.
In February, veteran US war correspondent Marie Colvin, who had been working for The Sunday Times of London, and French photographer Remi Ochlik were killed as Syrian security forces shelled the rebel-held city of Homs.
Around 17,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of the anti-Assad uprising in March 2011, according to UN estimates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India