Russia confirms US adoptions suspended
Moscow: Russia on Thursday confirmed it had
suspended adoptions by US citizens following a scandal over a
seven-year-old boy who was sent back to Russia by his US
The foreign ministry said the freeze would stay until
an agreement is reached on terms specifying responsibilities
for US families adopting Russian children.
"Future adoptions of Russian children by US citizens
-- which are currently suspended -- will only resume after
such an agreement," ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko told
There has been a media storm in Russia over the boy,
Artyom Savelyev, who was sent back alone on a plane to Moscow
by his adoptive mother along with a note saying she could not
keep him because of his behavioural problems.
The boy, also known as Artyom Justin Hansen, is
currently in a Moscow clinic and is in "satisfactory"
condition, Russian television reported today.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said last week
Russia would freeze adoptions by US citizens.
The US consul general in Russia, Richard Beer, met an
official at the Russian education and science ministry on
Wednesday to discuss the adoption issue, the ministry said in
They agreed that talks on an adoption agreement would
be held next Tuesday, the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read