Russia criticises US over human rights record
Moscow: Russia has denounced the human rights record of the US, citing maltreatment of children, breach of privacy, police brutality, secret jails and freedom of expression issues.
Russian Foreign Ministry Friday presented a report to the State Duma, the lower house of country`s parliament, which will hold hearings on the human rights issue coming Monday.
A Duma source privy to the document quoted it as saying that hundreds of thousands of children in the US are mistreated and that resulted in 1,600 deaths in 2010 alone.
It makes special mention of the maltreatment of children adopted from Russia.
Citing US NGOs, Russian diplomats note that "about one police officer in 100 has been involved in criminal abuses, including sexual harassment, indecent behaviour or rape."
On prisons, the report says that "the US remains the country with the largest prison population in the world - 2.2 million."
Another issue is secret CIA prisons, in particular in Poland, Afghanistan, Iraq, Thailand, Morocco, Romania and Lithuania, the report said.
The report also criticises US legislation permitting "special services" to monitor all private electronic correspondence without a court order.
In 2011, they filed more than 1.3 million requests for information on mobile users.
"Between 2004 and 2007 the number of electronic messages monitored by US special services rose by 3,000 percent," the report says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!