Russia criticises US over human rights record
Moscow: Russia has denounced the human rights record of the US, citing maltreatment of children, breach of privacy, police brutality, secret jails and freedom of expression issues.
Russian Foreign Ministry Friday presented a report to the State Duma, the lower house of country`s parliament, which will hold hearings on the human rights issue coming Monday.
A Duma source privy to the document quoted it as saying that hundreds of thousands of children in the US are mistreated and that resulted in 1,600 deaths in 2010 alone.
It makes special mention of the maltreatment of children adopted from Russia.
Citing US NGOs, Russian diplomats note that "about one police officer in 100 has been involved in criminal abuses, including sexual harassment, indecent behaviour or rape."
On prisons, the report says that "the US remains the country with the largest prison population in the world - 2.2 million."
Another issue is secret CIA prisons, in particular in Poland, Afghanistan, Iraq, Thailand, Morocco, Romania and Lithuania, the report said.
The report also criticises US legislation permitting "special services" to monitor all private electronic correspondence without a court order.
In 2011, they filed more than 1.3 million requests for information on mobile users.
"Between 2004 and 2007 the number of electronic messages monitored by US special services rose by 3,000 percent," the report says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears