Russia delays 2012 military launches

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 21:40

Moscow: Russia will delay launches of military spacecraft this year because of a failed satellite launch last month, a top defence official said Tuesday.

The delays will be "insignificant", Russian Space Forces Commander Lt. Gen. Oleg Ostapenko said.

Two telecommunications satellites were lost Aug 7 due to a failure in the Russian Proton-M rocket`s upper stage.
Ostapenko said the launches will be put on hold until the findings of a government probe into the incident are fully looked into, as the Briz-M upper stages are also used to hoist military spacecraft into orbit.

Several senior space officials have been sacked over the failure.



First Published: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 21:40

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus