Russia denies sending chemical weapons to Syria
Moscow: Syria has no Russia-made chemical weapons stockpile, a Russian official said Tuesday.
Col. Vladimir Mandych, deputy director of the Federal Agency for Safe Storage and Destruction of Chemical Weapons, said: "Syria is one of the countries that did not sign the chemical weapons convention. As far as I know, no Russian-made chemical weapons have ever been supplied to Syria."
US President Barack Obama Monday said Syria`s chemical weapons would be a "red line" that would change Washington`s stance on a foreign military intervention into the Syrian conflict.
The Syrian foreign ministry said in July that Damascus may use chemical weapons against external aggression as the West pushes for a possible military intervention in the country torn by violent clashes between troops loyal to President Bashar Al-Assad and opposition forces.
The Syrian stockpile of chemical weapons is believed to consist mostly of large amounts of sarin, tabun and mustard gas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’